Tuesday, May 5, 2015

why we need feminism

I'm often asked by my relatives and other adults why I've never had a serious boyfriend before.

Sometimes I find myself asking the same thing.

It's not that I haven't had any opportunities, or that I don't want one, but I just haven't found the one.

Sometimes, I'm lonely enough that I want to find myself one, but then I see things like this and remember why I'm still single.


I'm not trying to say that every teenage boy in Lone Peak High, American Fork High, or even Utah County thinks this way, there are still boys who write poetry and take special needs girls to prom, but the pickings are slim.

For every white, wealthy, Christian male out there, I am going to tell you why feminism is important, right now.

Feminists are not man-haters. The correct term for a someone who hates or feels superior to men is called a Misandrist. Being a Feminist simply means that we are advocates for equality, and for heavens sake people, its 2015, we should all be expanding our minds and supporting each other by now.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a man who taught me to always stand up for myself, and to never let a man make me feel like I was any less than he. I'm the type of person who doesn't let anybody push me around, and I ESPECIALLY won't stand for being demeaned or treated poorly due to my gender.

From time to time, it may seem like I have it hard, but I can't even begin to fathom the struggles women in other countries face every single day. In the United States of America, I can receive an education. I can own a home, land, and a vehicle. I can vote for the leader of our country. I can become anything I want to become, even though some may make it harder for me or pretend like I'm not capable of living out my full potential. But I still can. However, in Islamic, African, Asian, and other countries of the world, women have absolutely no rights. They can not read, write, drive, vote, dress, or even communicate how they please. They are beaten, raped, mutilated, sold, violated, deprived, and even killed, just for the sake of being women, and nothing in this world makes me more livid than those facts. I'd like to see some asshole who thinks we don't need feminism travel to a brothel in India or a burn victim colony in Iraq and tell that to the women there.

Ladies, I'd like you all to know that you are beautiful and smart and strong and powerful and you can become anything you want. You are important. Never let a man treat you like you aren't, because we are. Biologically, we are a lot cooler. We can bleed for a week straight and still survive, and sustain human life within our own bodies. Never be with a man who doesn't understand the importance of you and what you are capable of. Gentlemen, if you respect women, God bless you. But if you don't shame on you. If you are a so called "meninist" then screw you. If you have a big ego, then I understand that you either have little confidence, (or perhaps a little something else, but I want go there). And if you believe that women's only roles are in the house or the kitchen, then go pick yourself up a copy of the Feminine Mystique by my girl Betty Friedan and learn a thing or two.

And lastly, Carter Childs, if you had an ounce of intelligence in your body, then you would understand that you can't compare one group of people who seek equality with a terrorist group who killed off nine million people, and expect a good laugh out of your followers. You're an asshole, and I hope you never get laid.

No comments:

Post a Comment