Tuesday, May 26, 2015

farewell address (i guess)


I still remember the first day of high school. 
braces, bright blue skinny jeans, and I forgot my bra at home (don't ask). 
I felt like lone peak high school was the largest building in the world, and I could barley walk through the halls. I remember I felt really bad ass because I could go to mcdonalds at lunch and get a frappucino with my friends, and no one could stop me. 

It's literally blowing my mind as I sit here reminiscing, thinking about what a long road it's been to get myself from there to here. 

As a senior part of the 2015 graduating class of this world class high school, I should give the underclass some advice, right? 

Go to class. It will save you a million heartaches when they call you into the attendance office to give you that friendly reminder that you have 87 attendance schools that need to be done by may 22nd.

Do your homework. It doesn't matter if it's 3pm or 3am, just get it done, and you will reap the benefits. 

Don't let people walk all over you. It's better to be "that bitch" who always speaks her mind and gives an opinion than a stepping stone for everyone else. 

Boys in high school ARE NOT WORTH IT LADIES. There's gonna be like one in a hundred that may be worth your time, and believe me, it takes a lot of time to find him. If you ever find yourself blowing off your friends for him, or fighting with your parents because of him, just drop him. (Boys, this can apply to you too)

It's okay to be alone. It's okay to feel sad. Don't let your parents or a therapist or anyone tell you different. 

If you need help, PLEASE ASK FOR IT. I would've never been able to get through depression or an eating disorder if I didn't ask for help. It's scary, but it's worth it. 

Sometimes, you have to be your own biggest cheerleader. People may leave you or treat you poorly, but it isn't your fault, and better things await you. 

I may be graduating, but I still don't even know it all. But what I do know is, I found myself this year. I've never known a clearer picture of who I am or who I want to become, and that makes me so so happy. I've learned that my failures are just learning experiences. I've learned that knowledge is power, and discovered my new found respect for where I live and what I am able to do. I've learned that I love my family more than anything else, even when it seemed like I didn't. I've learned that losing childhood friends is hard, but it's part of growing up. I've learned that people are beautiful, and everyone doesn't have to be just like you to gain respect or friendship. I've learned that people are worth fighting for, and if you want something, there's actually nothing in your way from stopping you.

Thank you to Nelson and the entire CW2 class for creating an enviorment where people can just be themselves, after all, we are all writers. 

I wish each and everyone of you the best, whether it be going to school, starting a career, serving a mission, and one day, starting families of our own. 

Nelson, just keep doing you. 


2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Thank you for sharing your writing with us. Keep being sassy lol.

    ReplyDelete